Portobello Pizza. If you have been following along with our nutrition challenge, you have been trying to increase the amount of vegetables you are consuming. Here is a great recipe to help! Portobello Pizza!
By: Emily Rutherford
When you’re changing your eating habits, having fun recipes to help you cut back on less healthy foods can be key to keeping you on track and happy! This is one of my favorite ways to mix it up.
This recipe is great for up to 6 people.
- 6 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed, washed and dried with a paper towel
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or a dried oregano and basil leaf blend), divided
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce (garlic and herb)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 30 miniature-sized pepperonis or Italian sausage
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced thinly
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Arrange the oven shelf to the middle of your oven.
Combine the oil, garlic and 4 teaspoons of the seasoning together in a small bowl. Brush the bottoms of each mushroom with the garlic oil mixture and place each mushroom, oil side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet. Roast the mushrooms for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Once cooked, drain all excess liquid from the mushrooms.
Fill each mushroom with 2 tablespoons of the pizza sauce per cap, 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese, 6 pepperoni, and bell peppers. Bake until the cheese has melted and is golden in color.
To serve, sprinkle with the remaining Italian seasoning (or mixed herbs), and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Want to get healthier? Book a Free Nutrition Consult today!
Oregon CrossFit has been helping Bend, Oregon residents get happier and healthier since May, 2009! Experience the difference!